Clarence firefighters save sleeping family and pig from fire

Yesterday at 12:15 a.m. Clarence Center Volunteer Fire Company was dispatched for smoke coming from a housed called in by a neighbor. Upon arrival, crews were able to awake a sleeping family and safely assist them from the structure.

Once the fire was located in the rear of the residence, Asst. Chief Paul “PJ” Herberger made entry and was greeted by an unexpected occupant – Barnaby, a family pet who happened to be a pig. Although a slight struggle ensued, the chief remained undeterred and Barnaby was successfully removed, via bear hug, from the burning room. The fire was quickly extinguished and was confined to the contents of Barnaby’s pen, primarily straw and hay. Following the incident the grateful swine posed for a picture with his hero.

As the temperatures continue to drop, the fire department urges you to use extreme caution with space heaters. Remember to have a working smoke and carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home including in your basement and garage.

Fortunately, due to the attentive neighbor and quick response damage was minimal and no injuries were reported.

Story courtesy of  Clarence Center’s Volunteer Fire Co.’s Facebook page.

Don't miss out on all the goodness happening in your community! Enter your email to receive our newsletter including sweet people, sweet businesses, sweet events, and more!

Enter your email to receive sweet things:

Subscribe!